Established in April of 2016 as non-profit corporation, the NG-PON2 Forum will be an interest group of services providers, equipment suppliers, component vendors and analysts working towards the common goal of promoting the adoption of NG-PON2 broadband technologies that connect people, devices and technologies throughout the world.
Broadband and the connectivity provided by these technologies have become the cornerstone of a more educated and diverse planet and advanced fiber delivery mechanisms like Next Generation Passive Optical Networking, specifically the multi-wavelength aspect of the TWDM portion of NG-PON2 (ITU-T G.989 series), dramatically increases the speeds and flexibility of these connections. By creating this interest group, the Board of Directors of the NG-PON2 forum will strive to create a broader market for carrier adoption of this technology, increasing the volume of deployments and reducing the costs for both consumer and enterprise customers.
We will achieve this by championing the latest NG-PON2 technology based broadband access networks to:
- Drive a converged optical access network architecture and FTTx market development
- Support all existing and upcoming broadband service offerings and the ever increasing bandwidth demand
- Support and promote innovative technology advances in the broadband access market
- Advocate new additions to the technology (5G backhaul, fronthaul) as appropriate
- Drive NG-PON2 enhancements such as Channel Bonding and higher rate options through the standards